Grays Papaya

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

So now that the cat is out of the bag.... ;)

The funny thing about being engaged is that it somehow overshadows everything else in the conversation. So, I wanted to write about Seattle first.

The best thing has been telling our friends, and having them be really excited (which is a good sign).

The story:

Dec 24th: Alex and I went to Santa Cruz to watch the sunset, because went there quite a bit while we were dating. For some reason my nose is a faucet because I'm having bad allergies, I'm cold, and there's a dead seal the size of a dining table on the beach (probably an elephant seal), accompanied by a nauseating stench. There's also a bunch of kids running around, some of whom are naked, which is okay, except that I am cold, and I'm wearing a sweater, jeans, and a wool jacket (okay, I've become a wimpy Californian, I admit it).

So. we watched the sunset. and then we went home.

the end.

until the next day....

We came back to Alex's place (no one else was around) after church to exchange gifts. Alex got the DVD set of the 2004 World Series with the 7 vs the Yankes, and 4 vs the Cardinals. I got an REI fleece. We both really liked our gifts. Then Alex says, I have another gift, and pulls out this shiny piece of metal with something sparkly on it.

He said some things, and popped the question.

I think it's a better story in person than written down, I mean, all engagement stories kind of end in one of two ways, and the bad ones do not get told. I found out later that Alex had the ring in his back pocket in Santa Cruz, but given the dead seal to cap it all off, decided against it.

the end (for real).

6 Comments:

  • it may not be about the seattle public library, but your story still makes me smile ;-)

    By Blogger hibiscusfire, at 12:43 AM  

  • really now. the story would not have been so very interesting if it wasn't for the dead seal. that's the only thing that really makes it a great story. otherwise it would have been another ho hum engagement story.

    i feel most fortunate that the dead seal made an appearance (but rather unfortunate for the seal).

    By Blogger Marcia, at 9:20 PM  

  • That's a great story. Congrats again :) One of my cousin's had her big moment nearly ruined by a wild burro who approached them in the dark in the desert. Luckily, he waited until she finished screaming, the burro had moved away, and she had calmed down, to pop the question. She said yes and they had a good laugh.

    By Blogger The Lone Coyote, at 12:51 AM  

  • OMGOMGOMG!!! you're engaged!!!

    (i feel as if i'm the most excited one who's posted a comment...)

    i'm so happy for you! =)

    -alice =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 AM  

  • "I mean, all engagement stories kind of end in one of two ways, and the bad ones do not get told."

    I love that. It's so true. I just wanted to say that reading your account again still makes me smile.

    By Blogger sunnydlita, at 10:40 AM  

  • I came across your blog awhile ago and have been only checking it occasionally, but oh my this is exciting news!!! Congratulations, Marcia!!! :) (Remember me? ;) )

    God bless you on the road ahead!
    - Tina

    By Blogger tpiglette, at 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home